News Updated 20.04.2019
Golfe Clube de Tavira
Alex ‘Loy’ Figueiredo your club Captain for 2019/20 has had a successful drive in and is looking forward to meeting and playing with club members throughout the year. The new board of directors for 2019/20 season is detailed below.
Board of Directors
President – Alex Figueiredo
Vice-president – June Scott
Financial Director – Valerie Lampard
Technical Director – Paul Ballard
General Secretary – Teresa Baker
Vocal – Nick Everott
Vocal – Kevin Powell
President – Gonçalo Martins Dias
Secretary – Pedro Calvinho
Vocal – Doreen Powell
President – Keith Baker
Vice-President – Peter Westera
Vocal – Valerie Bamforth
Sub Committee Handicaps
Steve George (part-time)
Sub Committee Rules and Course
Grupo PortInsurance - are happy to work with Golfe Clube de Tavira this year and want to promote their insurance company through the membership. A discount scheme is available for Golfe Clube de Tavira members and they would like members to request quotations through them for the various insurance options available, (Golf, Car, Health, House, Holiday etc) and they propose that a percentage of their commission received will be given to the club to be used towards the charity donations.
Should you require any type of insurance please contact Vicente Domingos and reference Golfe Clube de Tavira membership number.
Typical annual fees for Golf insurance are provided below and currently we have some proposal forms in the club folder in the GCdt locker or Mr Captain has the required forms electronically should they need to be emailed.
- Membership and Golfe Clube de Tavira fees 2019
Any member, who has not yet renewed their annual Golfe Clube de Tavira membership by 31st January 2019, will not be eligible for entry into club competitions, until payment has been received.
If payment has not been received by 25th March then the players Federation status will be changed to inactive on the 1st April. Meaning that, the player will then be ineligible for any Federation competition. There is also a 10% late payment fee incurred on the Federation payment for any payments after the 1st March.
- A reminder to ALL members and NEW members.
After a competition draw has been published and you find you are unable to play there is a dedicated mobile number for players to TEXT/SMS and withdraw from the competition (+351) 920 218 231.
The committee requests that players who cannot play send a standard text message/SMS with the following information:“Your Name, Tee Time and Withdrawn”.
A “No Show” leads to an automatic disqualification from the next two individual competitions.
- The committee informs members who currently DO NOT have an active handicap status highlighted in italics on the draw sheet. This means you do not have the required qualifying rounds (4 per year) or proof of playing record and as such cannot win a competition until the situation is addressed. However, your competition score card can be used towards your qualifying requirements.
- Handicaps and Competitions direct your attention to a short You tube video which gives a good summary of the new rules from January 2019 . Just click on the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chPOtfLUHC0.
- Pairs and Singles Competition entry requirements – All members please note that the competition entry sheet stipulates that any entrant has to be available from the commencement of the competition to the completion of the competition. i.e. if they cannot comply with the entry condition they cannot enter the competition.
- Porta Amiga charity box – it has been reported that items that have been donated to the charity have been removed from the charity box by people using the golf club for personal use. This is unacceptable and it has been suggested to Benamor that box is moved to a more visible position and or fitted with a lockable lid.
- 18th Fairway - It has been reported, that a number of non GCdt members are still walking across the 18th fairway in front of the green in order to get to the container storage. Not only is this dangerous but it is not golfing etiquette.
- Pond signage and lifebelts/buoys are still required to be put in place on the 17th and 10th ponds highlighting the DANGER. Mr Captain to discuss further with JP. Mr Captain will be providing BENAMOR with the lifebelts/buoys shortly.
- SPT golf club and GCdT are arranging a friendly match on 16th October 2019. The format is still to be defined. Possibly 7 pairings from each club required. Please see the noticeboard for updates and entry requirements.
Civil Liability Insurance
Golfe Clube de Tavira members for 2019 are covered through a Liberty Seguros Policy. See noticeboard.
TEE TIMES BOOKINGS PROCEDURE
Golfe Clube de Tavira (GCT) members and PT Golf 3 months/1 year members – Up to 1 month in advance
Tour Operators – Up to 1 year in advance
PT Golf temporary visitors – 5 days in advance
PT Golf Competitions – 2/3 months in advance
Golfe Clube de Tavira (GCT) competitions – In June/July for the next year (N.B. Subject to change when Benamor Classic Dates are tbc)
High Season is February/March and again in October/November, so tee times are taken up quickly.
Please report to Reception and confirm your tee times prior to commencing your game. Any cancellations should also be given as much notice as possible.
Members should also be aware that “Pay and Play” visitors can book any unallocated tee times online. So book early to avoid disappointment.
There have been some changes to the EGA handicap system, the major points are:
I) Extra Day Scores - 4 scores per month are permitted for handicap categories 2 to 5, regarding EDS rounds played outside the scope of competitions, under handicap conditions and complying with the specified requirements (preregistration). Handicap category 6 has no limit of EDS.
II) Handicap Calculations - For simplification and standardization purposes, the same adjustment (0.1) applies to handicap categories 1 to 5, regarding Stableford scores below buffer zone. (Clause 3.12.6)
The committee has arranged civil responsibility insurance for the GCT members. The Civil Liability insurance has been arranged through Liberty Seguros to cover all members (at the time) until the end of 2018.
Procedure for New Handicaps - Summary
- The player must be a registered member of Tavira Golf
- Tavira Golf and Federation membership fees paid and up to date
- A minimum of four qualifying cards must be submitted from rounds played on Federation registered courses
- The rounds played must be advised in advance ( registered at the course as an Extra Day Score – EDS ) either through Reception at Benamor or via the Reception of the course to be played.
- The tees played must be included as should the slope rating of the course for EDS cards.
- The score should be recorded as gross strokes. It will be re-calculated as Stableford points when submitted to the Federation by Tavira Golf.
- The card must be signed and dated by both the player and the marker who must be a registered member of the Portuguese Federation
- The card should be submitted to Tavira Golf as soon as conveniently possible.
Dates for the Diary
27th April – Presidents Cup (buffet lunch after)
11th May – Stableford
18th/19th May – Ladies Club Championship weekend
25th/26th May – Mens Club Championship weekend
Benamor Golf has recently planted 47 new trees in various areas of the course the trees are marked as GUR. Please see the temporary LOCAL Rule regarding relief.
A safety issue has been raised regarding the ponds on the 10th and 17th holes that, following a number of incidents in recent weeks where people have fallen into the ponds trying to retrieve golf balls. It has been deemed necessary to remind members of the DANGERS and the risk of drowning.
The ponds will have new signage to warn of the DANGER and more lifebelts shall be provided around the pond areas on the 10th and 17th holes.
Ladies Matches and Interleague 2018
Ladies next match v Vila Sol on Monday 22nd April.
Ladies please see the notice board for updates
Algarve Interleague 2019
First league match v Vila Sol was on the 6th March at home which resulted in a 4 -1 win. Second league match v Serra da Monchique was on the 3rd April and resulted in a draw. Third match v Palmares played on the 10th April at home resulted in a 5 -0 win.
|Team||Played||Played Home||Points||Played Away||Ponits||Bonus Points||Total Points|
|4||Parque da Floresta||3||2||11||1||4||0||15|
|7||Serra de Monchique||1||0||0||1||5||0||5|
Next interleague match is the 30th April, it is away to Parque da Floresta
please see the notice board for further information
Winter league 2018/19
The Winter league has finished and although GCdT did not bring any trophies home it was an enjoyable season. Thanks to David McBride for organising the fixtures.
Alexandre Figueiredo (Captain 2019-2020)