News Updated 26.01.2019
Golfe Clube de Tavira
Happy New Year to all the members at Golfe Clube de Tavira.
Grupo PortInsurance - are happy to work with Golfe Clube de Tavira this year and want to promote their insurance company through the membership. A discount scheme is available for Golfe Clube de Tavira members and they would like members to request quotations through them for the various insurance options available, (Golf, Car, Health, House, Holiday etc) and they propose that a percentage of their commission received will be given to the club to be used towards the charity donations.
Should you require any type of insurance please contact Vicente Domingos and reference Golfe Clube de Tavira membership number.
- Thank you to all the committee and all the members, local businesses, Golf Courses for their auction donations and your generosity in supporting the Charity Day this year. I was very pleased to present a total of 7000€ to the charities on Presentation Day 19th January 2019 of which 5500 € donated to Porta Amiga and 1500€ donated to GATO. Both charities said that any member of Golfe Clube de Tavira would be very welcome to visit them and see the work that they do within their respective organisation.
- Membership and Golfe Clube de Tavira fees 2019
Membership fees are due, see information below or contact any member of staff in Benamor reception.
Any member, who has not yet renewed their annual Golfe Clube de Tavira membership by 31st January 2019, will not be eligible for entry into club competitions, until payment has been received.
If payment has not been received by 25th March then the players Federation status will be changed to inactive on the 1st April. Meaning that, the player will then be ineligible for any Federation competition. There is also a 10% late payment fee incurred on the Federation payment for any payments after the 1st March.
- A reminder to ALL members regarding competition NO Shows.
After a competition draw has been published and you find you are unable to play there is a dedicated mobile number for players to TEXT/SMS and withdraw from the competition (+351) 920 218 231.
The committee requests that players who cannot play send a standard text message/SMS with the following information:“Your Name, Tee Time and Withdrawn”.
A “No Show” leads to an automatic disqualification from the next two individual competitions.
- The committee informs members who currently DO NOT have an active handicap status highlighted in italics on the draw sheet. This means you do not have the required qualifying rounds (4 per year) or proof of playing record and as such cannot win a competition until the situation is addressed. However, your competition score card can be used towards your qualifying requirements.
- Handicaps and Competitions direct your attention to a short You tube video which gives a good summary of the new rules from January 2019 . Just click on the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chPOtfLUHC0.
- Rotary Charity Day - Benamor is again hosting the Rotary Charity Day on the 23rd of February 2019 for the Africa week in aid of treatment for Hepatitis C. The treatment kit for one person is 600€. All members are asked to support the event if possible. The golf is a shotgun start (individual stableford) and will be followed by a meal, a Charity auction of which there will be a number of golf vouchers, beauty treatment, gym session etc to bid for.
Board of Directors
President – Nick Everott
Vice-president – Alexandre Figueiredo
Financial Director – Valerie Lampard
Technical Director – Paul Ballard
General Secretary – Teresa Baker
Vocal – John Willingham
Vocal – Kevin Powell
President – Gonçalo Martins Dias
Secretary – Pedro Calvinho
Vocal – Doreen Powell
President – Keith Baker
Vice-President – Peter Westera
Vocal – Valerie Bamforth
Sub Committee Handicaps
Steve George (part-time)
Sub Committee Rules and Course
Civil Liability Insurance
Golfe Clube de Tavira members for 2019 are covered through a Liberty Seguros Policy. See noticeboard.
TEE TIMES BOOKINGS PROCEDURE
Golfe Clube de Tavira (GCT) members and PT Golf 3 months/1 year members – Up to 1 month in advance
Tour Operators – Up to 1 year in advance
PT Golf temporary visitors – 5 days in advance
PT Golf Competitions – 2/3 months in advance
Golfe Clube de Tavira (GCT) competitions – In June/July for the next year (N.B. Subject to change when Benamor Classic Dates are tbc)
High Season is February/March and again in October/November, so tee times are taken up quickly.
Please report to Reception and confirm your tee times prior to commencing your game. Any cancellations should also be given as much notice as possible.
Members should also be aware that “Pay and Play” visitors can book any unallocated tee times online. So book early to avoid disappointment.
There have been some changes to the EGA handicap system, the major points are:
I) Extra Day Scores - 4 scores per month are permitted for handicap categories 2 to 5, regarding EDS rounds played outside the scope of competitions, under handicap conditions and complying with the specified requirements (preregistration). Handicap category 6 has no limit of EDS.
II) Handicap Calculations - For simplification and standardization purposes, the same adjustment (0.1) applies to handicap categories 1 to 5, regarding Stableford scores below buffer zone. (Clause 3.12.6)
The committee has arranged civil responsibility insurance for the GCT members. The Civil Liability insurance has been arranged through Liberty Seguros to cover all members (at the time) until the end of 2018.
Procedure for New Handicaps - Summary
- The player must be a registered member of Tavira Golf
- Tavira Golf and Federation membership fees paid and up to date
- A minimum of four qualifying cards must be submitted from rounds played on Federation registered courses
- The rounds played must be advised in advance ( registered at the course as an Extra Day Score – EDS ) either through Reception at Benamor or via the Reception of the course to be played.
- The tees played must be included as should the slope rating of the course for EDS cards.
- The score should be recorded as gross strokes. It will be re-calculated as Stableford points when submitted to the Federation by Tavira Golf.
- The card must be signed and dated by both the player and the marker who must be a registered member of the Portuguese Federation
- The card should be submitted to Tavira Golf as soon as conveniently possible.
Dates for the Diary
2nd February – February Stableford
17th February – February Medal
23rd February – Rotary Charity Day
John Willingham reported that the NEW course rating has been implemented. The New OOB fencing has now been marked up and is now in play.
A safety issue has been raised regarding the ponds on the 10th and 17th holes that, following a number of incidents in recent weeks where people have fallen into the ponds trying to retrieve golf balls. It has been deemed necessary to remind members of the DANGERS and the risk of drowning.
The ponds will have new signage to warn of the DANGER and more lifebelts shall be provided around the pond areas on the 10th and 17th holes.
Ladies Matches and Interleague 2018
The ladies fixtures for this season are already on the notice board.
Ladies please see the notice board for updates
Algarve Interleague 2018
The Interleague AGM was on the 8th January 2019 (Match Captain Les and D McBride attended the meeting). The fixtures for this season are already on the notice board (see the notice board for further information).
Winter league 2018/19
The last match at home to Castro Marim resulted in a 3 – 2 for Tavira.
The next Winter League match date is on the notice board. (see the notice board for further information).
Nick Everott (Captain 2018-2019)