News Updated 13.07.2019
Golfe Clube de Tavira
This is the last newsletter until September, so all enjoy the summer sun, keep safe and come back refreshed.
Congratulations to Heath Else who won the Dubai Cup in June.
Benamor Golf requires a Marshal to join Fay Dixon-Kelly for the coming High season.
Please see the information below and should you be interested speak with Pedro in the office.
Hours and Benefits for the Marshal
Benamor Golf need one extra ranger to replace Carolyn Wright, as Fay is still going to be with us in high season, making a total of 2 rangers like previous years.
They will be required to do the same as in previous years, which is around 6 hours per day (October & November, and again February, March and April) and they will receive FREE annual membership, as well as uniforms and lunch provided by Benamor.
The working hours for this new season – they will require one marshal starting at 9am until 3pm and another from 10/10.30am to 4/4.30pm.
The days off will generally be the weekends as this time can be covered by existing Benamor staff and can be flexible with regard to GCdT competitions.
Transport provided, may differ from that shown!!!!!!!!!
Job Description of a Golf Course Ranger
Working for public and private golf courses, golf course rangers ensure that courses are maintained and all aspects of play run smoothly. They serve as liaisons between players, management and other employees, communicating any feedback from golfers and handling emergency situations that arise. As one of the front-line employees in providing customer service, rangers are expected to be friendly and courteous, and possess excellent communication skills.
Duties of a Golf Course Ranger
Golf course rangers inform players of golf course rules and regulations, and enforce rules by removing golfers who are in violation. They monitor the course to keep games moving at a reasonable pace. Usually reporting to the golf course supervisor or manager, rangers communicate the details of play and update management of any adverse course conditions.
As part of their maintenance duties, golf course rangers make sure that supplies, such as flags, water bottles and cups, are properly placed throughout the course before and during games. They let management know when supplies run low. At the end of the day, they might help with storing golf carts and other equipment, as well as cleaning course facilities.
Rangers keep track of customer information, obtain necessary tournament permits and regulate the pace of play on a daily basis. With as much tact as possible, they assist with and attempt to resolve a variety of customer requests and issues, such as disputes, equipment needs or facility questions. When complaints, accidents or other incidents arise, they could have to prepare written reports.
Golf Course Ranger Requirements
The duties a golf course ranger is often responsible for include monitoring supplies on the course, regulating the pace of play, and storing golf carts. They need to be tactful, as dealing with customer complaints and inquiries is an important part of the job. It is also essential for successful rangers to have solid knowledge of the game of golf.
Interested? Then see Pedro
All members of GOLFE CLUBE DE TAVIRA please note the modifications below to our competition entry and participation.
There are no significant changes but simple adaptations designed to improve speed of play amongst other issues.
MODIFICATION TO COMPETITION ENTRY/PARTICIPATION
- Medal Competitions
- Players may opt to pick-up after a score of 9 on any hole.
- If a player decides to pick-up they cannot win any prize except for the separate “2 on Par 3s”
- The Draw categories, Early, Mid and Late, will all be drawn low handicap to high handicap.
- The above changes will be implemented on Saturday 8th June for the June Medal competition
- Stableford Competitons
- Players will no longer be grouped on a random basis but, as closely as possible, by adjacent category, e.g. A category 3 player may play with a category 2 or category 4 player. A category 4 player may play with a category 3 or category 5 player.
The above change take effect from Saturday 11th May.
EDS CARDS PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
“EDS Cards should be submitted (left in the score card box in Reception) as soon as possible after a game. Scores which are a week old or more are automatically rejected by the Federation Datagolf system.
Before submitting the card please make sure it is correctly completed – course, time, date, legible score, player (federation number, if applicable) and markers name and signatures”
Basically, the number of EDS cards that are incomplete or late when entered onto the system the server rejects them. It is in the players interest to be punctual with the scorecards or it will all be a wasted effort.
General GCdT Business
Mr Captain, Madam Vice Captain and Immediate Past Captain have had a meeting (16th May) with JP regarding certain proposals Benamor Golf would like to introduce affecting GCdT/SPtGolf and Sao Bras Golf Society, details will follow later in the year.
Mr Captain has spoken with JP regarding vouchers presented to winners of GCdTcompetitions are currently being discussed (i.e. for use of the prize vouchers in the shop, Bar and towards green fees). This matter is still under discussion. Information will be posted on the noticeboard when available.
All members of GOLFE CLUBE DE TAVIRA if you have an arrangement for use of golf buggies, please can you advise reception in advance for the day you require to use it. This will help reception manage the buggies availability with the pay and play clients who want to book buggies.
REMINDER PLEASE KEEP BUGGIES OFF THE TEE BOXES
Mr Captain has nominated the Bunker on Right hand side of Hole 9 as his charity bunker, if you visit this bunker then deposit 50c in the charity tin in the bar.
Grupo PortInsurance - are happy to work with Golfe Clube de Tavira this year and want to promote their insurance company through the membership. A discount scheme is available for Golfe Clube de Tavira members and they would like members to request quotations through them for the various insurance options available, (Golf, Car, Health, House, Holiday etc) and they propose that a percentage of their commission received will be given to the club to be used towards the charity donations.
Should you require any type of insurance please contact Vicente Domingos and reference Golfe Clube de Tavira membership number.
Typical annual fees for Golf insurance are provided below and currently we have some proposal forms in the club folder in the GCdt locker or Mr Captain has the required forms electronically should they need to be emailed.
- Membership and Golfe Clube de Tavira fees 2019
Any member, who has not yet renewed their annual Golfe Clube de Tavira membership by 31st January 2019, will not be eligible for entry into club competitions, until payment has been received.
If payment has not been received by 25th March then the players Federation status will be changed to inactive on the 1st April. Meaning that, the player will then be ineligible for any Federation competition. There is also a 10% late payment fee incurred on the Federation payment for any payments after the 1st March.
- A reminder to ALL members and NEW members.
After a competition draw has been published and you find you are unable to play there is a dedicated mobile number for players to TEXT/SMS and withdraw from the competition (+351) 920 218 231.
The committee requests that players who cannot play send a standard text message/SMS with the following information:“Your Name, Tee Time and Withdrawn”.
A “No Show” leads to an automatic disqualification from the next two individual competitions.
- The committee informs members who currently DO NOT have an active handicap status highlighted in italics on the draw sheet. This means you do not have the required qualifying rounds (4 per year) or proof of playing record and as such cannot win a competition until the situation is addressed. However, your competition score card can be used towards your qualifying requirements.
- Handicaps and Competitions direct your attention to a short You tube video which gives a good summary of the new rules from January 2019 . Just click on the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chPOtfLUHC0.
- Pairs and Singles Competition entry requirements – All members please note that the competition entry sheet stipulates that any entrant has to be available from the commencement of the competition to the completion of the competition. i.e. if they cannot comply with the entry condition they cannot enter the competition.
- Porta Amiga charity box – it has been reported that items that have been donated to the charity have been removed from the charity box by people using the golf club for personal use. This is unacceptable and it has been suggested to Benamor that box is moved to a more visible position and or fitted with a lockable lid.
- SPT golf club and GCdT are arranging a friendly match on 16th October 2019. The format is still to be defined. Possibly 7 pairings from each club required. Please see the noticeboard for updates and entry requirements.
Civil Liability Insurance
The FGP has now (24th May 2019) reintroduced civil liability cover for those Golfe Clube de Tavira members who are federated members. This insurance agreement is with Fidelidade insurance. See noticeboard for policy details.
TEE TIMES BOOKINGS PROCEDURE
Golfe Clube de Tavira (GCT) members and PT Golf 3 months/1 year members – Up to 1 month in advance
Tour Operators – Up to 1 year in advance
PT Golf temporary visitors – 5 days in advance
PT Golf Competitions – 2/3 months in advance
Golfe Clube de Tavira (GCT) competitions – In June/July for the next year (N.B. Subject to change when Benamor Classic Dates are tbc)
High Season is February/March and again in October/November, so tee times are taken up quickly.
Please report to Reception and confirm your tee times prior to commencing your game. Any cancellations should also be given as much notice as possible.
Members should also be aware that “Pay and Play” visitors can book any unallocated tee times online. So book early to avoid disappointment.
There have been some changes to the EGA handicap system, the major points are:
I) Extra Day Scores - 4 scores per month are permitted for handicap categories 2 to 5, regarding EDS rounds played outside the scope of competitions, under handicap conditions and complying with the specified requirements (preregistration). Handicap category 6 has no limit of EDS.
II) Handicap Calculations - For simplification and standardization purposes, the same adjustment (0.1) applies to handicap categories 1 to 5, regarding Stableford scores below buffer zone. (Clause 3.12.6)
The committee has arranged civil responsibility insurance for the GCT members. The Civil Liability insurance has been arranged through Liberty Seguros to cover all members (at the time) until the end of 2018.
Procedure for New Handicaps - Summary
- The player must be a registered member of Tavira Golf
- Tavira Golf and Federation membership fees paid and up to date
- A minimum of four qualifying cards must be submitted from rounds played on Federation registered courses
- The rounds played must be advised in advance ( registered at the course as an Extra Day Score – EDS ) either through Reception at Benamor or via the Reception of the course to be played.
- The tees played must be included as should the slope rating of the course for EDS cards.
- The score should be recorded as gross strokes. It will be re-calculated as Stableford points when submitted to the Federation by Tavira Golf.
- The card must be signed and dated by both the player and the marker who must be a registered member of the Portuguese Federation
- The card should be submitted to Tavira Golf as soon as conveniently possible.
Dates for the Diary
20th July 2019 – Summer Cup
3rd August 2019 – August memorial Medal
17th August 2019 – August Stableford
31st August 2019 – Better Ball Stableford
Improvement work has been carried out on the bunker in front of the 13th Hole, your patience will be appreciated during the period of the work.
Ladies Matches and Interleague 2019
Ladies please see the notice board for updates
Algarve Interleague 2019
Recent Tavira match results-
20 Jun 19 v Vila Sol away match halved 2½ - 2½
26 Jun 19 v Pinheiros Altos home 3 – 2 win to Tavira
|Team||Played||Played Home||Points||Played Away||Ponits||Bonus Points||Total Points|
|3||Parque da Floresta||9||5||30||4||16||1||47|
|5||Serra de Monchique||9||6||29||3||16||1||46|
Next match away to Boavista 11th July
please see the notice board for further information
East Algarve Winter league 2018/19
Nothing to report.
Alexandre Figueiredo (Captain 2019-2020)